Brownies, cookies, chocolate, mac n cheese – the possibilities for cannabis-infused products are endless. And the best part is, you can make them all yourself from the comfort of your own home.
As the coronavirus pandemic confines us all to our homes and threatens our respiratory health, making edibles can be a productive and fun way to spend your time. But for those new to crafting edibles, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Fortunately, it’s much simpler than you would think, and we’re here to walk you through the basics.
For the sake of this article, we’re going to focus on infusing a stick of butter, which you can then use to make almost any kind of recipe you want. If you’re looking for something a bit healthier, Leafly has a great and easy-to-follow guide on how to infuse oil.
Step 1. Decide your desired dosage
What kind of recipe are you looking to make? What strain do you want to use and how much of a dose are you looking for per serving? These are all decisions you should make ahead of time.
You should know the approximate amount of THC in the strain you pick. It’s important to dose yourself correctly, as it can be common to over consume edibles leading to a generally unpleasant six-four hours. Thus, measuring out your desired milligrams is a key part of the process.
It’s important to note that every gram of cannabis contains 1,000 mg of dry weight. Say your cannabis has 15 percent THC content – that would mean you could net 150mg per gram of that strain. The calculations are as follows:
1gram = 1,000mg
1,000mg X 15% = 150mg
Now, if your recipe will yield you 20 cookies and you use only one gram of that strain, your cookies will come out around 7.5mg each (150mg/20). You can always use more of your flower to get a higher dose.
Step 2. Decarb your flower
Next, you will decarb your flower in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 240F.
- Break the weed up into tiny bits and lay them out across a cookie sheet. Do not layer the flower on top of eachother.
- Stick in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the flower has turned a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Grind your cannabis into even small bits.
Step 3. Infusing your butter
- Melt one cup of butter with one cup of water in a saucepan and let it simmer on low.
- Add in the ground cannabis.
- Let the mixture simmer on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the butter appears thick and glossy, remove from heat.
- Place a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth over a glass bowl. Pour the butter into the strainer and let it filter into the glass bowl below. Discard any leftover crumbs.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
There you have it. The next morning, your stick of cannabutter should be ready to use to make just about anything. Keep in mind that your stick of butter will have a certain amount of THC in it. If a recipe calls for half a stick of butter, and your full stick is 150mg, you will end up with 75mg for the whole recipe since you are only using half.
When you do finally get to try your special treats, make sure to take it slow and start with a low dose. It can be hard to predict ratios, but with a little time and practice nearly anyone can perfect the cannabutter recipe.