Different strains of marijuana have different levels of each cannabinoid, allowing patients and doctors to select a strain of marijuana with a cannabinoid profile that will best treat a patient’s symptoms. There are two main subspecies of cannabis, Sativa and Indica. There are also hybrids and Ruderalis.
- Tall with long, thin leaves
- Produce very potent buds with a high level of THC
- More THC than CBD
- Energetic high
- Used to treat depression, migraines, chronic fatigue, appetite stimulation, nausea
- Pure Sativa can cause panic attacks; hence the hybrids
- Mental clarity
- Shorter plants, bushier leaves
- Thought to produce more CBD than sativa. We have not seen a correlation.
- Drowsy effect; feeling of serenity
- Treats anxiety, insomnia, muscle spasms, tremors, chronic pain
- Combining effects of Sativa and Indica can lead to targeted products.
- Sativa-dominant hybrids: Head high with relaxing body feel
- 50-50 hybrids: Balance of the two strains, providing a balanced approach
- Indica-dominant hybrids: full-body pain relief, with a head high effect. Best for insomnia relief
- New strain, with developing research
- Lower THC levels
- High amounts of CBD
What’s in a name? Nature vs Nurture: Genetics provide potential. Growers maximize it.